What is Raptr? Raptr Review
Visit Raptr on the web at http://raptr.com
Raptr – The Fantastic Social Network for Video Game Players
A plethora of social networks abound on the internet. There’s Facebook for those who want to interact with friends and family; Twitter is there for those who enjoy sharing 140-character updates; LinkedIn is a place where professionals congregate; Instagram is for the photo lover; and Vine exists for those that love sharing 6-second videos.
Despite all of this, gamers need a place where they can really showcase their gaming skills rather than the places they’ve been to or the food they’ve eaten. This is where Raptr comes into play.
So, what exactly is Raptr?
Now, Raptr isn’t revolutionary when it comes to gaming social networks. There are others like Playfire that came before it and others like Duxter that will surely come after it. Just like Friendster was surpassed by Facebook, there will continue to be an evolution in social media for gamers.
For gamers wishing to join a social network of like-minded individuals, Raptr makes that experience really easy. Signing up on their website is pretty simple as you’re guided by popup boxes telling you what you should do next. From selecting the games you play to importing data from your gaming devices, Raptr walks you through everything.
Basically, it’s just like any other social network but more focused on the members of the gaming community. Joining is free and easy just take a look at the following pictures.
Step 1 Add in your games
Step 2 Add in your gamer ID’s
Full-featured user dashboard
A bit of history
Raptr was founded in 2007 by Dennis Fong, co-founder of Xfire, Lithium and Gamers.com. The company was able to raise $27 million in funding from investors such as Accel Partners, DAG Ventures, Founder’s Fund, and Tenaya Capital.
Fong was a competitive gamer and started Raptr because of frustration that “playing with friends just wasn’t as easy as it should be.” He added that when playing on a PC, gamers use different apps while they’re playing and there was nothing available for all of these to be on one platform.
Fong said that it was impossible to keep track of all of his gamer friends and what they were doing, especially for those who play on multiple platforms. All of these frustrations led to the birth of Raptr.
Every social network has a set of features that makes it special and keeps users coming back for more. Here are some of the best features that Raptr has to offer:
- Provides users with a gamer profile that lists gameplay and achievements for every gaming device they use, bet it the Xbox 360, PS2 or PC
- Has a personalized news feed that curates news, videos, discussions, screenshots, and strategy guides from around the internet based on games that you’re playing
- Offers in-game features for PC gamers such as web surfing, video, screenshot capturing, cross IM chat, access to popular social media services, and much more
- Ranks you based on the amount of time you play and pits your stats against your friends and those in the community. This stirs a sense of competition in those who really love being on top
- Unlocks real rewards such as free games, beta codes, DLC and more based on the rank you earn. Hey, if you want those codes, you’ll work hard to improve your game which translates to better rankings
- Features the ability to stream video via Twitch, which is really useful for those who want to stream their video games
- Available as a desktop application for Microsoft Windows users, but is also available as a web platform when not playing games
Download the cool desktop app
Raptr has free games
Stay up to date at a glance
Earn rewards and benefits
What makes Raptr stand out from the rest?
One word: community. When you join Raptr, you’ll find lots of sub-communities dedicated to different kinds of games such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Tribes: Ascend, and Amnesia. Each of these communities have over a thousand members so you’ll definitely find a helping hand or someone to talk to.
Not only that, Raptr also holds Q&A’s with different publishers. In sessions like these, members can participate in Reddit-like AMA’s that developers can use to learn more about what gamers want.
Active and helpful community forums
The gaming community just surpassed 19 million users, and this number will surely grow over the coming years given the rising popularity and accessibility of mobile games. Fong also says the company will continue to add features – the latest being Twitch – to keep their community growing.
If you are into gaming you should check out Raptr. It can add another dimension to your gaming fun by combining your playtime with a like-minded social network. Besides that, you can earn rewards for all of your efforts and those rewards can provide real benefits to you.
You can visit Raptr at http://raptr.com
Video: Raptr Review